28 Lincoln Street
Rockland, ME 04841
Michael McGuire – Director/Teacher
Peter Conover – Teacher
Chris Mogan - Teacher
Martha Toothaker – Ed Tech
Alternative Education IS:
• A privilege.
• A learning program that is designed for students who find the traditional classroom a difficult place to learn.
• A place where students feel a sense of belonging to a big family.
• A more individualized form of learning in both course content and the pace at which material is presented.
• An opportunity for students to earn credits throughout the year.
• An opportunity to be challenged intellectually.
• A place to work toward post secondary plans.
• A place to work in a more relaxed environment, close to and supported by Oceanside High School.
• A chance to learn how to work with people, and the group process.
• A way to challenge oneself.
• A part of RSU 13 … you are still a student of Oceanside High School.
Alternative Education is NOT:
• An easy way to avoid school.
• A place where non-attendance, inappropriate language and/or poor behavior are tolerated.
• Designed to be solely remedial or take the place of special services.
• Designed to provide upper level courses (such as Calculus, foreign languages, Chemistry).
• Designed for someone to simply “put in time” and be given a high school diploma.
An “Ideal” candidate is one who:
• Is independently minded.
• Is perhaps seen as unmotivated, or not thriving, academically but with potential.
• May have life circumstances that interfere with concentrating on high school.
• May have “hit bottom” and is looking for a second chance.
• May be a discipline problem for being too outspoken.
• May not “fit in” with peers; either withdrawn or eccentric.
Interested students should speak with their Guidance Counselor and fill out an application.